Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Blog 12 Transcript


Code. G= Nagerrah
            PG= Participant 
G: Hello how was your day?
PG:  Hello, my day is just getting started. Off to a pretty good start. Im a little sleepy, but hey what’s new.
G: It’s nothing new really. School, that’s all. I’m just trying to keep my grades up.
PG: That’s always a good thing. What’s your GPA?
G: Yeah, I’m trying. My GPA is a 3.1. I’m trying to get it higher.
PG: Just work hard. You can do it. What did you want to talk to be about?
G: I just would like to talk to you about your relationship as pastor, with the choir. Is that alright?
PG: My relationship with the choir is a fairly decent relationship. I understand the importance of the choir in relation to the delivery of the message from God. I believe the choir has first contact with the congregants in relation to preparing their hearts to receive the message. Therefore, they need to be in tune with the flow of the service to ensure they are aligned with what needs to be shared with the people on that day. I believe my ministry and that of the choir walks side by side because the choir can minister a song that will be right on target of where the Lord is leading and it will help to facilitate a life changing moment for someone.
G: In all of your years of ministry, how relevant is the choir during your sermons?
PG: I can honestly say in my ministry the choir hasn’t played that large of a role in sermon delivery.

G: Does song selection matter?
PG: Song selection and flexibility I key in the flow of any worship service.

G: Have your message ever changed because of the song selection?
PG: Yes several times.

G: Can you tell me about a time your message changed?
PG: I recall preaching at Citadel Of Hope and the choir sang a song, Send up Judah and immediately God impressed upon my heart to share a message titled, Send Judah(Praise) first.

G: Have you ever asked the choir to sing something that coincided with your message?
PG: I have not asked the choir specifically, a psalmist yes I have.

G: Was there ever a time where you had to get a message across, but the song selections didn’t help? What did you do?
PG: I can’t say that I have because I have never relied solely on a choir to help deliver a message.



G:How long have you been preaching?
PG:I have been preaching for approximately 15 years.

G: Is there another name for it than just preaching?
PG: You can also refer to preaching as sharing of God’s Word.

G: So can you tell me about your experience with preaching? Is there any examples that you would like to share?
PG: My experiences with preaching have been a journey, one of stretching and growing, a very rewarding journey. Since, I first came to realize the call of servanthood in the capacity of preaching at a young age I had the struggle of growing in life and God at the same time. A challenge in and of itself. One example of a challenging yet rewarding experience was being a young lady newly licensed in ministry and coming in contact with a gentleman that did not “believe” in women preachers. He was very vocal and starch with his opinions, and made no attempt to hide his thoughts. This particular Sunday I am on schedule to deliver that morning’s message. He openly said, “ I did not come here to hear a woman, the Lord said women are to be silent” I immediately started feeling all types of emotions, fear, anger, intimidation to say the least. I remember standing in the pulpit and looking over towards that man and praying that God would just have his way in me. So I shared the message from Ps. 23_ “ Will you be my Entourage” In reference to Grace and Mercy following us all the days of our life. I stayed focused and on target about what my assignment was on that day. I made it through the message at the end of the service this gentleman approached me and said,” I must shake your hand, I don’t have a liking for women preachers but I must say the hand of God is on your life and you preached a very good message today” Those that know this man including his brother was floored. They shared with me that he NEVER compliments a female preacher. 

G: Who is your audience? Do you have a preference?
PG:I feel like I have been called solely to the Body of Christ. My level of comfortability is with Youth and Young Adult crowds.

G: Is there a difference in your ministry from when you first started to now?
PG: Yes my ministry has absolutely evolved from the time I started, I have experienced and seen life which in turn shapes my world view which of course plays a part in the delivery of my message. The message has remained the same but life and Holy Spirit has taught me the technique of effective delivery.

G: Can you explain the differences?

PG: When I first started I was no holds bars…. If I felt it was sin and you were committing that sin I went for the jugular and it did not matter how I said it, who I said it to, or the timing I said it in. I still have that mentality regarding sin but I have learned how to say what needs to be said in a way that it is confronting but not damaging at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment