Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Short Analysis Blog 15


            The process of the interview was difficult. In the interview with pastor PG, it was uncomfortable. You can tell by the scattered conversation. G thought it would be different interviewing a female pastor, but it wasn’t easier to converse with her. It was probably because she is somewhat common because she is seen in the pulpit preaching on Sunday mornings. More conversation was added, with small conversations. It is hard to interview someone with a higher stature and also a platform.
G: Hello how was your day?
PG:  Hello, my day is just getting started. Off to a pretty good start. Im a little sleepy, but hey what’s new.
G: It’s nothing new really. School, that’s all. I’m just trying to keep my grades up.
PG: That’s always a good thing. What’s your GPA?
G: Yeah, I’m trying. My GPA is a 3.1. I’m trying to get it higher.
PG: Just work hard. You can do it. What did you want to talk to be about?
            When G asked the relationship with the choir it seemed like the interview sped up. The response to the choir about PG’s relationship with the choir her answer was loaded.
G: I just would like to talk to you about your relationship as pastor, with the choir. Is that alright?
PG: My relationship with the choir is a fairly decent relationship. I understand the importance of the choir in relation to the delivery of the message from God. I believe the choir has first contact with the congregants in relation to preparing their hearts to receive the message. Therefore, they need to be in tune with the flow of the service to ensure they are aligned with what needs to be shared with the people on that day. I believe my ministry and that of the choir walks side by side because the choir can minister a song that will be right on target of where the Lord is leading and it will help to facilitate a life changing moment for someone.
            G thought the interview would get better. The questions that were prepared seemed like the interview would be solely about her relationship with the choir. The questions that were prepared were in expectation of the choir being the focus.
G: In all of your years of ministry, how relevant is the choir during your sermons?
PG: I can honestly say in my ministry the choir hasn’t played that large of a role in sermon delivery.
 G: In all of your years of ministry, how relevant is the choir during your sermons?
PG: I can honestly say in my ministry the choir hasn’t played that large of a role in sermon delivery.

G: Does song selection matter?
PG: Song selection and flexibility I key in the flow of any worship service.

The replies from PG were slow.  The replies weren’t what G expected. At this point G was the dominant in the interview. G tried to get the focus questioned answered. The focus question was, to analyze the relationship between the pastor with sermons and the choir. However, as the interview continues the question is far from being answered. G had to think of something that would escalate the conversation. So she asked about PG’s experiences as a minister of the gospel. PG had more to say. The level of comfort was better.  
Her experiences as a preacher overall didn’t revolve around what the choir sang. She had one experience where the choir sang a song that changed her sermon. She listened to the voice of God that changed her message. The choir sang a song about praise and God gave her a message about praise.
Excerpt
            After PG began to share her experiences as a minister, she was comfortable. She said that her level of comfortability is more with the youth and young adults. She said how her ministry changed. At this point of the interview she became the dominant person in the interview. She gave her experiences with a traditional pastor and congregation. She talked about how uncomfortable she was.

G: So can you tell me about your experience with preaching? Is there any examples that you would like to share?
PG: My experiences with preaching have been a journey, one of stretching and growing, a very rewarding journey. Since, I first came to realize the call of servanthood in the capacity of preaching at a young age I had the struggle of growing in life and God at the same time. A challenge in and of itself. One example of a challenging yet rewarding experience was being a young lady newly licensed in ministry and coming in contact with a gentleman that did not “believe” in women preachers. He was very vocal and starch with his opinions, and made no attempt to hide his thoughts. This particular Sunday I am on schedule to deliver that morning’s message. He openly said, “ I did not come here to hear a woman, the Lord said women are to be silent” I immediately started feeling all types of emotions, fear, anger, intimidation to say the least. I remember standing in the pulpit and looking over towards that man and praying that God would just have his way in me.

I sense that at that point PG felt how G felt at the beginning of this conversation. She was a new and young preacher and had to speak in front of a congregation that didn’t like to or wasn’t use to hearing a young woman preacher. They were not use to seeing a woman behind the pulpit. At this point she began to pray for herself.
So I shared the message from Ps. 23_ “ Will you be my Entourage” In reference to Grace and Mercy following us all the days of our life. I stayed focused and on target about what my assignment was on that day. I made it through the message at the end of the service this gentleman approached me and said,” I must shake your hand, I don’t have a liking for women preachers but I must say the hand of God is on your life and you preached a very good message today” Those that know this man including his brother was floored. They shared with me that he NEVER compliments a female preacher. 


            The questions changed, as well as the focus. My focus question is now how it is difficult to interview a person of stature.



No comments:

Post a Comment