Thursday, April 24, 2014

Blog 20

Throughout the years in each culture there has been a male dominance that was present in the environment. The men were the bread winner and they were the heads of the household. The women were responsible for caring for the children, cooking, and cleaning. See this male dominance is not only relevant from home to home, but it is also very relevant in traditional black churches. I will be investigating the male dominance in the traditional black churches, and how women pastors are viewed.

Am I on the right track???

G: So can you tell me about your experience with preaching? Is there any examples that you would like to share?
PG: My experiences with preaching have been a journey, one of stretching and growing, a very rewarding journey. Since, I first came to realize the call of servanthood in the capacity of preaching at a young age I had the struggle of growing in life and God at the same time. A challenge in and of itself. One example of a challenging yet rewarding experience was being a young lady newly licensed in ministry and coming in contact with a gentleman that did not “believe” in women preachers. He was very vocal and starch with his opinions, and made no attempt to hide his thoughts. This particular Sunday I am on schedule to deliver that morning’s message. He openly said, “ I did not come here to hear a woman, the Lord said women are to be silent” I immediately started feeling all types of emotions, fear, anger, intimidation to say the least. I remember standing in the pulpit and looking over towards that man and praying that God would just have his way in me. So I shared the message from Ps. 23_ “ Will you be my Entourage” In reference to Grace and Mercy following us all the days of our life. I stayed focused and on target about what my assignment was on that day. I made it through the message at the end of the service this gentleman approached me and said,” I must shake your hand, I don’t have a liking for women preachers but I must say the hand of God is on your life and you preached a very good message today” Those that know this man including his brother was floored. They shared with me that he NEVER compliments a female preacher. 
 
^^^ This is the information I am analyzing. I scheduled an interview for tonight (4/24) at 7:00 hopefully I get more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment