Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Blog 3

So many term I can now identify, all because I enrolled into this course. I learned discourse, which is a specific way to look at sentences, words, and even letters.  In this class I found the different types of genre, culture, categories, lexis and analysis. I can not only identify, but I can define them as well.

First, Genre, before this class, I only thought about genre in music and movies. I never thought about the different types of writing.

Second, culture, or cultural knowledge, it is simply knowing the context of the writing. It helps to know what was or is going on around the writer.

Third, categories, that kind of explains itself. When one thinks of categories, they think of groups or separation. To be honest, that is exactly what it is. In analyzing things it is helpful to group the objects.

Fourth, lexis, no not the car. This term was very new to me. In fact, I have never heard it before this class, but lexis refers to language. It's funny I picked lexis after category because once you categorize the groups it is important to find their language.

Fifth, analysis. All of the above terms help with analysis. It is a very particular way to look at a type of writing. Looking at writing in a close fashion helps to be able to use the above terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment