Thursday, May 1, 2014

Blog 13

I asked PG has her message ever changed because of the song the choir sang. She gave me a specific church and choir. It was amazing to me because she even gave the song. She even got more comfortable with talking to me. I think that she was more comfortable with sharing her experience. She explained to me what Judah meant, which means praise.

PG: I recall preaching at Citadel Of Hope and the choir sang a song, Send up Judah and immediately God impressed upon my heart to share a message titled, Send Judah(Praise) first.


As I said before, PG was more comfortable sharing her experiences. When she gave her experiences preaching her responses were longer. She told me how she felt around a seasoned male pastor. This excerpt changed my focus. I realized that women weren't always equal to men in the African American church.

PG: My experiences with preaching have been a journey, one of stretching and growing, a very rewarding journey. Since, I first came to realize the call of servant hood in the capacity of preaching at a young age I had the struggle of growing in life and God at the same time, a challenge in and of itself. One example of a challenging yet rewarding experience was being a young lady newly licensed in ministry and coming in contact with a gentleman that did not “believe” in women preachers. He was very vocal and starch with his opinions, and made no attempt to hide his thoughts. This particular Sunday I am on schedule to deliver that morning’s message. He openly said, “ I did not come here to hear a woman, the Lord said women are to be silent” I immediately started feeling all types of emotions, fear, anger, intimidation to say the least. I remember standing in the pulpit and looking over towards that man and praying that God would just have his way in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment